It was going to be a very exciting evening! I have completed another four blocks from Sue Garman’s “Friend’s of Baltimore” and they are ready to be stitched together into a row. I already have one row stitched together. You can read about that here. When I cut my background blocks, I always cut them 2″ or 3″ larger than the finished size. So, before I could stitch the blocks together, I had to trim them down to the correct size. Here is what I did to make the job so easy and stress-free…The best part is, I never had to measure anything!
I made a window template with the opening the exact measurement of the unfinished size of the block. The finished size is 15″, so I needed to trim the blocks down to 15 1/2″, therefore I made the opening 15 1/2″. (I hope that makes sense!)
So now I could place the window template on the block and make sure that everything was centred nicely.
Next, I traced around the opening with a marking pen.
Then I trimmed the excess fabric away by cutting on the marked line. Easy peasy!
So, once I trimmed all the blocks to the correct size, I started to stitch the blocks together in a row.
Ta da! An evening well spent!
Til next time…
This block in Sue Garman’s “Friends of Baltimore” is so close to being complete! I am so excited!! The only thing left is the Album that will sit in the empty space.
First, I made the spine of the Album…
…and then I prepped the red background of the Album. I chose more of a burgundy red so the Album would stand out from the red flowers.
The skinny beige border is a full piece. I think it is easier to work with a big piece rather than a skinny little piece! And finally, the top red piece of fabric.
I added the spine…
…and I placed the Album in the basket……
…and I topped it off with a flower and some leaves. Voila!!
Can’t wait to start the next block! I am pre-washing the fabrics as we speak!!
Til next time…
This time of year, spare time is a rare commodity. But I still managed to find the time to finish this block from Sue Garman’s “Friends of Baltimore”.
And here is a close up.
My Sunday Afternoon Group meets the third Sunday of every month so that means we meet this Sunday….already! Every year we begin a new project so I offered to design next year’s quilt. Here is a preview of the first block. They haven’t seen it yet, so mum’s the word!
I am taking the plunge and using my collection of batiks. (I’ve never really used batiks but somehow I ended up with an amazing batik collection!!) So far, I love them! The colours are so vibrant and saturated. The best part is the fabric does not fray. I am now an OFB… Official Fan of Batiks!
I pre-washed every last one of them…
…and Bruin found yet another (!) cat bed!
I have started the next block of The Civil War Bride. First, I stitched some branches and some leaves..
I used every inch of the branch fabric!
The tail feathers have me very intrigued! They seem to fit together like a puzzle. I love puzzles!
And here are the tail feathers just waiting to be stitched!
Til next time…
What is it about hand-quilting that is so darn relaxing? I am making pretty steady progress on Sue Garman’s “Bouquets For A New Day”. When I sit down to quilt, I am always surprised at how quickly time (and stress!) seem to slip away.
And here is a close-up. I am using a Frixion pen to mark the cross-hatching. There was a bit of a discussion in my Sunday Afternoon Applique Group regarding these pens. I am always careful to test the marker on a scrap of fabric before marking the quilt top.
When my block is finished, I like to give it a warm bath to remove all residue left from the glue, starch and marking pens. Even though I pre-wash all (and I do mean all!) of my fabric in Synthrapol, my heart still skips a beat when I do this!
I am getting ready to start the next block of Sue Garman’s “Friend’s of Baltimore”. My least favorite part of appliquing is the tracing. So here is how I avoid tracing…
First, I scan the patterns and then “reflect” them. Then I print the patterns directly on to freezer paper. When a pattern has lots of layers and pieces, I usually print two or three copies. Here is the original pattern.
And here are the freezer paper copies. If you look closely, you will see that they are printed “backwards”.
The fabric for this block is already pre-washed and has the usual amount of cat hair on it!!
Til next time…
This bird is taking on a life of its own!
So…here are the top feathers.
…and the back and head.
The side feathers are stitched on. I also added the band around his neck. At this point I realized I forgot the beak. I think I was just so darn excited about how the bird was starting to look..well..very bird-like!
…and finally the last piece of the bird is stitched in place!
I un-stitched a small section of the head and tucked in the beak. Now I can concentrate on stems and leaves and grapes! Did I mention there are 98 grapes!
I am pre-washing the fabrics for the appliqued border on my Feathered Star. I am not sure what pattern I am doing yet but I want the fabric to be ready when my idea hits me!!
This is why I pre-wash!!
I pre-wash all my fabric in really hot water and Synthrapol. I just sleep better when I do!!