Darn it! Does this ever happen to you? I was stitching merrily along, when I thought my stitches felt a little weird. Then I noticed my background had folded over on itself and I was stitching through two layers. I keep my stitch ripper handy for occasions just like this!
So, once the block was finally finished, I did what I do to all my finished blocks….I gave it a bath! I like to wash everything out of my block…like glue, starch and anything else that shouldn’t be there! First, I fill the sink with very hot water and a bit of soap.
Next, I take a very deep breath…and then I toss my block into the water.
I usually let it soak for a couple of hours. Then I let the water out of the sink and rinse the block under hot water until there are no more suds.
Next, I gently squeeze the block so it is not dripping wet, but still fairly wet. Finally, I spread the block out on a thick towel and pin the four corners. Then I just let it air dry. I should mention that I pre-wash all of my fabric in Synthrapol before even beginning the block.
So…while the block was drying, I started the next block of Civil War Bride. First I traced the block…
….then I made lots of bias. (You can never have too much bias!)
Oh! And speaking of Civil War Bride, I finally made a decision. I chose Nest #2! Instead of putting 5 eggs in the nest just like the pattern, I chose to add 3 eggs…an egg to represent each one of my lovely children!
Til next time….