I was just itching to get this next block of Sue Garman’s “Friends of Baltimore” finished! But it just seemed to go on and on. I started working on the red ribbons. As you can see, this section of the ribbon was really skinny! Here is how I tackled it. Even though the freezer paper template was barely an 1/8″ wide, I still cut my 1/4″ seam allowance all the way around.
Once I prepped the first side, I trimmed the seam allowance so that I could just see the edge of the template.
Next, I prepped the other side and trimmed it down also…
…and stitched it in place.
Then I prepped and stitched the second ribbon in place and added a pretty bow.
I thought I was done (and was high-five-ing myself!) and realized, no, I still had the bluebird to stitch. So, here is the finished block…all tidied up after it’s bubble bath!
I took a close look and saw that, once again, I forgot to stitch a tiny piece. Drat!
Now, on to the exciting part! The reason I wanted to finish this block so much, is that I now have enough blocks to sew another row together…I know!!! So I dusted the cobwebs off my sewing machine, and started to make some half-square triangles. You can read a little more about the method I use here.
It’s one thing to sit and sew a bunch of half-square triangles together. It is another thing entirely to stitch them together in a row and arrive at the measurement it is supposed to be. Here is a little tip I use to make life easier.
First, I sew my half-square triangles (HSTs) together in pairs. Then I press the seam open.
Then I stitch the pairs together to make sets of 4. And I press the seam open. And then, I measure the piece. These HSTs finish at 1″, therefore, 4 HSTs sewn together should measure 4 1/2″.
Then I stitch the sets of 4 together to make sets of 8. I press the seam open and measure the piece. It should measure 8 1/2″. This section needed a nip and tuck!
Now, I take my sets of 8 and stitch them together to make 16 HSTs. And, hopefully, it measures 16 1/2″.
So, now I can start to sew the row together! Bruin always likes to be in on the action!
First, I sewed on the bottom sashing, and then the side sashing on both blocks.
And…two blocks sewn together!
I would like to continue, but look at the time!