Exciting times! Earlier this spring, a dove built a nest and laid some eggs in a tree that is visible from our front window. Last weekend, my husband was trimming the bushes around the tree and noticed the Mama bird keeping her 2 baby birds warm.
On Thursday, I noticed a bit of commotion around the tree (and our cat was going crazy!) Good thing he is an indoor cat! The baby birds were finally leaving the nest! I made sure my still-living-at-home, recently graduated 21 year-old daughter was paying close attention! Here is the Mom and Dad and one of the babies.
The other baby is over here, maybe in a time-out?
Anyway…back to the block! I added a few more flowers and leaves…
Next, it was time to make the vine. First I ironed the freezer paper to the wrong side of the fabric. I trimmed just one side of the vine.
I prepped one side…
…then, I trimmed the other side.
I finished prepping the vine, removed the freezer paper and added a few dabs of glue….
…..and added it to the bouquet!
In the meantime, I noticed that I had forgotten a little bud in the top right hand corner of the bouquet. So I prepped the missing bud, and also the blossom that goes at the end of the vine. And stitched them in place.
Here is the missing bud…
…and the blossom at the end of the vine. Spiffy!
I must confess, I did not look at the pattern, and mixed the two pieces up. I did not think it mattered….keep reading!…
So once all flowers and vines and leaves stitched in place, it was time to make the stems. I used bias bars to make them and used 4 different fabrics. I did not want to glue all the stems in place before stitching them, so I glued and stitched a few at a time. I took a few minutes and traced the stems so I wouldn’t have to keep putting the background back on the lightbox.
I added a few more stems and stitched them in place…
Next, I added the leaves. So far, so good!
I was pretty impressed with myself (which usually means I have screwed up somewhere!) and started prepping the ribbon. I put the pattern back on the light box and started to glue the ribbon in place. Yikes! Good thing I keep the stitch ripper handy!
Til next time…