Time to start another block of Civil War Bride. I almost(!) have enough blocks to sew another row together!! And you know how excited I get when I can stitch another row together. So here we go…
First I prepped the branches and stitched them in place. I used a brown fabric with shocking pink little flowers on it just to give the block a bit of oomph! (Definition of oomph…An extra push. An ingredient or a factor that will make something better or perfect.)
Next, came the leaves and the nest. Do you recognize the nest? You may have seen it here.
So, keep this tip in mind if you are making this quilt. You can make a couple of nests, audition them both, and use both! Waste not, want not and all that jazz!
Then, I placed a bird in the branches.
I really like to use Ultra-Suede for the feet and the beaks. First, I cut 2 triangles for the beaks. You don’t have to include a seam allowance, except for the part that goes under the body.
I glued half of the beak in place then trimmed a tiny bit of the corner off.
Then I glued the other half of the beak in place. I trimmed a bit of the corner off, also, so that the triangles would not overlap. Ultra-Suede is rather thick! Finally, I put the bird fabric back in place and stitched it in place, stitching right through Ultra-Suede, and into the background.
On to the feet! I ironed the freezer paper templates onto the Ultra-Suede. I am not really sure if there is a wrong side or a right side. They both look good to me!
So I cut the feet out and placed them under the body. At this point, the entire body has not been stitched in place yet. When I stitch the Ultra-Suede in place I try to match the color of the thread as closely as I can. I take just a tiny “bite” of the Ultra Suede and (very important) I don’t pull the thread too tight. If I do, then the Ultra-Suede looks dimpled along the sewn edge.
Since I wanted this to be a male bird, I added a golden brown wing and tail. Very manly!
I wanted the second bird to be female, so I chose a pretty fabric for her body and a nice red feather and tail. I added the eggs to the nest and…Voila!
Til next time…