Our local quilt show was a great success! The quilts were awesome and very inspiring! I volunteered to demonstrate hand-quilting, which meant I had to stop working on “Bouquet for a New Day” for a week or so, just so I would actually have something to hand-quilt! I was definitely going through some sort of withdrawal, and so I was happy to begin working on it again. Here I am at the museum with my friend, Janet.
Since I was not hand-quilting in the evenings, I needed something else to do. So I finished stitching the first border of “Civil War Bride”. I started thinking that if I only worked on one quilt at a time, I could accomplish more in a shorter amount of time, but who has that kind of attention span? (Not me…the more ongoing projects, the happier I am!)
So I did the same thing to the border that I did to all of the blocks. I filled the sink with hot, soapy water, took a deep breath and threw the block in the water! I let it soak for an hour or so.
Then I put it flat on a towel to dry.
Then I measured the pattern to make sure it was the correct size according to the directions (56″). The line I measured represents the finished size, and does not include the seam allowance. So I will trim the border to 56 1/2″ long.
I thought it might be a good idea to measure the quilt, just to make sure that it was the correct size. (56 1/2″) So far, so good!
Next, using my light box, I pinned the border on the pattern and lined up all the leaves and birds and flowers, to make sure the everything was centred properly.
Then I used a water soluble marker and marked the line. Remember, the line on the pattern represents the finished size, so I need to cut 1/4″ away from the drawn line. So now my border measures 56 1/2″.
So after all of that measuring and re-measuring, cutting and stitching, here we go!
Til next time…