I spent yesterday putting the finishing touches on the second border of Sue Garman’s “Friends of Baltimore”. All of the flowers and stems and leaves were finally stitched in place. So, it was time to add the little red berries…..
…and the embroidered stems. I like to use 2 strands of embroidery thread for the stems.
Each of the 13 roses has a (really tiny!) yellow center, so I prepped those, also.
Once the yellow centers were stitched in place, I did some more embroidery. Each of the roses and a few of the buds have these tiny little “hairs” stitched around them. They are stitched with just one strand of embroidery floss.
And now for the fun part! When I am finished stitching a block or border, I wash it to remove the glue and starch and the marks from my water-soluble marker. It is a simple process, really! I fill the sink with hot water and add a bit of dish soap or Soak (if I happen to have some on hand). Next, I just toss the block in and let it soak for about half an hour.
Then, I drain the water and rinse with tap water.
I leave it fairly wet and lay it out on a couple of thick towels to dry. Easy peasy!
Next on my “To Do” list was “Put Binding on Circle of Tulips”. To figure out how much binding I would need, I measured around each scallop and multiplied by the number of scallops.
According to my calculations, I need approximately 308″ of binding. I cut the bias strips 2 1/2″ wide and joined them all together in one long strip. Next, I pressed the strip in half lengthwise, wrong sides together.
And, I started stitching. So far, so good!
Til next time…