Earlier this year, I treated myself to a new quilt hoop. I have always hand quilted using a hoop, and I thought it was time to graduate to the kind of hoop with a base that tucks under my legs, which leaves my hands free to quilt. I love it!! No more aching shoulders and neck, because the quilt is supported with the hoop and not my arms.
Today, we discovered that my hoop also can be used as the perfect hiding spot. “Gee..has anyone seen the cat?”
“Here he is!” Sneaky!
Last year I taught a Beginner Applique Class to a great group of ladies. They wanted to continue to improve their skills, so I am teaching them how to make a Baltimore quilt. Pretty ambitious, I know! But I have faith in them! Yesterday was our first day. We will meet once a month and work on various blocks while learning new techniques. These are the fabrics I will be using for my blocks.
Here is first block. It is a variation of the Rose of Sharon block.
First I started with the buds. The buds actually are made of two layers of fabrics.
…and some more leaves and some bias stems.
Next, it was time to stitch the flowers. The flowers are also two layers, so I wanted to reduce the bulk before I stitched them onto the background. First I prepped both layers.
Then I stitched the top layer onto the bottom layer.
Next, I carefully trimmed the bottom layer of fabric away, cutting a 1/4″ away from the stitching.
And finally, I added the flowers to the block.
I am still working away on the third border of Sue Garman’s “Friends of Baltimore” quilt. I have finished the right side of the vase and now I am working on the left side.
Til next time…