Last weekend was Thanksgiving in Canada and, like most people we had a super busy long weekend. We had the family over…just 26 of us! I cooked a huge turkey and all the fixins! Hubby bought himself a new camera, so we headed north to Meaford and Thornbury to take some awesome photos and to get some apples. Is it my imagination or are the leaves really spectacular this year?
I also had a few spare hours, so I decided it was time to bite the bullet and toss my Friends of Baltimore into the washing machine. Let me explain why I did this.
I am not sure if you remember this, but when I washed one of the borders, some of the fabrics ran (red and dark blue) which shocked and upset me. I was shocked, because I am very careful about pre-washing all of my fabrics. Since I used all the same fabrics in the blocks as in the borders and this was the first time any of the fabrics had run, I was really puzzled. I was upset because my quilt had very distinct red and blue splotches on the background. I finished the top and had it quilted, knowing that one day I was going to have to deal with those darn splotches. Well…that day had come!
I talked to Colleen from Elite Quilting who knows everything there is to know about bleeding fabric and how to fix it. Imagine the look of sheer horror on my face when she nonchalantly suggested I wash the entire quilt in the washing machine with Synthrapol. It took more than a little coaxing on Colleen’s part to assure me that all of the bleed marks would come out and my quilt would not be ruined.
So I gathered my quilt up, added a whole bottle of Synthrapol, put it in the washing machine using the hottest water possible, crossed my fingers and prayed to the Quilt Gods. I stood there for 40 minutes and watched the quilt go round and round. I called Colleen for some support…twice! This is a picture I took of the quilt spinning around. You can see that Bruin is as concerned as I am!!
I am not sure why I felt compelled to stand there and watch. I stopped the washing machine and opened the door just to check up on it a few times. I was very thankful that all looked good!
Once the washing machine stopped, I gathered the quilt up in a clear bag, and whisked it over to my husband’s shop where we laid it out flat on some tables to air dry. I was so very thrilled to see that all of the marks had completely vanished and, more importantly, my quilt had not fallen apart!! Yes, so much to be thankful for!
I am also working away on a scrappy quilt designed by Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts called Trail Mix. It is a great stash-buster. Here are the strip pieced diamonds, which I am now going to go and stitch together!
Tile next time…