I have been working away on the second block of “Love is in the Air” a pattern designed by Lori Smith. I purchased this pattern a couple of years ago and put it away with the rest of my patterns. Honestly, I forgot all about it. About a month ago, I went through my patterns and books in search of a simple applique pattern that would lend itself to a really scrappy feel. As soon as I “found” this pattern in my box of (far too many) patterns, I knew “Love is in the Air” was exactly what I was looking for! For those of you who may want to stitch these blocks along with me, the pattern is available here.
As I mentioned in my last post, I am using a collection of shirting for the backgrounds, so that means that each background square will be different, which I am not going to lie has me a little unsettled. But I do love a challenge!
Also, I enlarged the patterns by 125%. I cut my background squares 16″ x 16″, but I am not sure right now what size they will end up. I never have all the details figured out before I start a quilt….what fun would that be? Sometimes you have to listen to the quilt!
I started this block by tracing the pattern onto the background with a water soluble marker. Next, I made a bunch of leaves, using many different fabrics, just for the fun of it and then I auditioned them. Some I like. Some I don’t. Some of the leaves are competing with the background, so I will save those leaves for another project!
OK, next I added my stems. Notice I used the same fabric for all of the stems, just to give a bit of consistency.
Next, I went searching through my scraps and I found this piece of fabric I have had for about 8 years. I love this fabric! So I decided to use it for the 4 main flowers.
Then I went through my scraps and found a fabric that went with the flower fabric.
Next, I went through my blues and golds and chose a few fabrics that played nicely with the main flower fabric. So far, so good!
This patterns has a circle in the centre that I could make with a piece of bias and a 1/4 bias maker, but I chose to make a template instead and prep it in the way I prep all of my templates. So much easier! Instead of tracing the circle from the pattern, I used a compass to get a more accurate shape.
I cut the circle out and ironed it to the wrong side of the fabric. I decided not to cut the centre of the fabric out just yet, to keep it more stable.
Using starch, a stiletto and a mini-iron, I prepped the outside edge.
Next, I trimmed out the centre and prepped the inside edge.
Taking the freezer paper out is always fun (and kind of scary!) but it works like a charm every time!
Once it is glued in place, it looks very neat and tidy. Whew!!
So, I auditioned several fabrics for the centres of the main flowers…brown, black, burgundy, blue…nothing appealed to me. Then I tried gold. Gold it is!! But wait….
I thought the gold circles were a tad too big, so I made them a shade smaller.
Ahhhh. That’s much better!
Here’s a fun fact… I used three different golds in this block. After all, it is a scrappy quilt!
And here are both blocks. Sweet!
In this block alone, there is a scrap from my hexie quilt I worked on last winter,
…a scrap of the background of my Civil War Bride Quilt….
….and a piece of the background of my Reminescence. Memories!
Til next time….