My husband, Paul and I are off to Boulder, Colorado for a little vacation. So, with that in mind, I have been busily working away on the next block of my new BOM, Friends of Baltimore/Baltimore Squared. I started this BOM back in September and was overwhelmed with the response. If you didn’t get a chance to sign up, don’t despair. You can now sign up on the website! You have from now until January 15th to enroll. When you sign up, you will be charged for Block 1, which will be shipped out on January 15th. You will then receive a new block for the next 9 months, and your credit card will be billed monthly. In case you haven’t seen the first three blocks, here they are. Be sure to check out this post for details of this BOM.
First, I started tracing my pieces. In my last post I showed you how I trace my pieces onto a single sheet of freezer paper. I trace on the shiny side from the right side of the pattern.
As I have mentioned in the past, I find tracing to be a little boring. So I make a pot of tea and listen to my audiobooks. Also, I have an entertaining cat to keep me company.
Next, I decided to make the bias strips needed for this block. Normally, I use a Clover 1/4″ bias maker for stems, but these stems are a smidge skinnier. So I dug out my metal bias bars and used the 3/16″ bar. I always use a contrasting thread when stitching these stems on my machine, so that when I trim the excess fabric away, I can see the stitching. That way, I do not cut into the stitching. I discovered that little trick the hard way!
Next step is to slide the bias strip around the bias bar so the seam is on the flat side.
Then I give the whole thing a shot of spray starch and heat it up with a really hot iron. Beware! The metal bias bar will be really hot. Really hot. So let it cool down before you try to take it out. Learned that little trick the hard way!
So once I made some bias stems, I made the little purple flowers and started on the leaves. There are a fair amount of leaves in this block. Way more leaves than flowers.
Normally when I begin a block, I prepare a few pieces and then I glue them onto the background. But this block is a little different because almost every piece either goes over or under another piece. So, as I prepared each piece, I placed them onto the paper pattern, so I could get an idea of which pieces should go on the background first.
When I prepared the larger stem and leaf section, I prepped one side at a time.
I am going to try to get as many pieces glued to the background before we leave tomorrow (at 4 am), so I have something to stitch while we are away. I know I should be packing my warm clothes and maybe some hats, mitts and scarves, but that can wait til tonight. Priorities!
I am always on the lookout for notions that will make life easier for us appliquers. I have found what I believe is the best glue bottle. First, the nozzle is short so it does not seem to clog up and (the best part) the lid is attached. That means no more scouring my sewing room floor on my hands and knees looking for the lid to the glue bottle. Life is good:) This glue bottle, along with all the other notion I use, is available on my website.
Just take the lid off, add your favorite glue, put the lid back on and you are good to go!
Til next time……