This past weekend was crazy busy while we celebrated Canada’s 150th birthday. It was wonderful to be part of the excitement. Paul and I took the Go-Train to Toronto and we handed out 250 Canadian flags to anyone who wanted one. He is the one in the Canadian flag shirt, carrying a Canadian flag, with a bag full of Canadian flags. I wish we had more! Also, we saw the big duck. Yes, it was really big!
So much fun! So today I decided to sew the 2 borders on my Friends of Baltimore/Baltimore Squared quilt. I must confess, I am loving how this quilt is looking:) Measuring borders can be daunting at the best of times. It is twice as daunting when you have spent a good amount of time appliqueing swags on the border. Here is what I did to make the process as stress free as possible…
First, I folded the quilt in half and measured it…a few times. Sometimes I get different measurements, so I just keep measuring until I get the same measurement twice. There it is….30 1/2″ which means my quilt measures 61″.
Next, I pressed the borders nice and flat. Bruin seems to be able to predict when I need the ironing board.
So I always iron my blocks and borders on the wrong side, that way I can get the background nice and crisp.
Next I folded the border in half lengthwise and measured 30 1/2″ (the same as the quilt). And I marked it with a pencil.
I took a second glance just to make sure everything was lined up evenly. Yes, it was.
Then I took a deep breath and I trimmed of the excess. Easy Peasy!
The borders are cut a little wide, so I trimmed them down according to the paper pattern. I just measured 3/4″ from the top of the pink circle and trimmed the extra bit off. I didn’t trim the bottom of the border because I like to trim the entire quilt up after it is quilted. A little extra is always handy. Deep breath……
Now I could finally sew the borders on. Sweet!
Til next time….