A bit about shrinkage…and stitching a binding!

I let my border dry overnight and this is what I woke up to!  Oh well.  That is why I keep a lint brush handy!

DSCN5786

So once I removed the dog hair, I placed the border (wrong side up) on my ironing board (which has a really thick towel on it) so I could press the border nice and flat.  I used a dry iron and just a bit of Best Press.  I press the blocks and border on the wrong side so that I am actually pressing the background fabric, and not just the applique pieces.

DSCN5830

Next, it was time to trim the border down to the correct size.  I always cut my blocks 2″ larger than the finished size to allow for shrinkage during the applique process.  I actually cut these borders 2″ wider and 6″ longer than the finished size.  You may wonder exactly how much does a block (or border) shrink?  Well, my border shrunk about 2″ in length….yikes!  Which is why I am so happy that this pattern was designed with shrinkage in mind!  More about that in my next post.

Some of you asked if I could show how I stitched the binding on Circle of Tulips.  This is what I did…

First I made sure I could see the line that will eventually be the scallop because that is the line that the bias will be stitched along.

DSCN5788

Next, I started stitching the bias along the marked line.    It is important not to stretch the bias binding….trust me, it wants to stretch!  In fact, you need to ease a little more binding into the quilt.  I like to use my stitch ripper to ease the fabric in place.  Don’t try to ease too much fabric in….
DSCN5793

…..you will get a pucker!  Keep that stitch ripper handy!

DSCN5796

So, when it came to the spot where the scallops come together in a point, I just inserted a pin to let me know where the exact point is.

DSCN5791

I stitched up to the pin, then I pivoted, making sure not to catch the fabric that is bunched up under the presser foot.  (You are allowed to swear at this point.  I did.)

DSCN5792

Those inside points should look something like this.

DSCN5825

This technique works so much better if you lock the cat in the bedroom!  Where did I put that lint brush?

DSCN5800

DSCN5805

Once the bias was stitched in place, it was time to trim off the excess fabric.

DSCN5842

But first, I checked the back to make sure there were no pleats or puckers.

DSCN5824

Now it was time to trim the excess fabric!  These are not magic scissors that cut all by themselves!!  It’s just that I can’t operate the scissors and the camera at the same time!!

DSCN5843

DSCN5844

I recently  purchased some Wonder Clips designed specifically for binding a quilt.  I love them…love them!

DSCN5845

DSCN5846

And, this is what that little pleat looks like.  Sweet!

DSCN5851

Yesterday was our last meeting of The Sunday Afternoon Applique Group until September.  We presented Kathy F. (on the left in the photo) with a quilt we made for her daughter, Karen, who is undergoing cancer treatments.  Each one of our members made a block.  We did not decide on any colour scheme, except the background.  It is lovely how it all came together!  Thanks to Colleen at Elite Quilting for doing such a lovely (and speedy!) job!

kathy and I

And last, but certainly not least,  if you attended Quilt Canada this month, you will recognize Brenda’s quilt. (Brenda is on the left in the photo).  Brenda is an amazing applique artist (as well as an awesome quilter in general!).  This is Brenda’s version of Aunt Millie’s Garden, although the inner border is her own original design!  Congratulation, Brenda!

brenda and I

Til next time….

Kerry

 

Filling the Fruit Bowl

Piece by piece, I am filling the bowl with yummy fruit!  First I added a pear, some grapes, an apple and what I believe is to be a tomato.  Next I added some peaches (or apricots…your choice!)  I absolutely love the fabric that the peaches are made from.  It is one of those fabrics that go from light to dark across the width.  These fabrics are perfect for shading flowers (or fruit!). Grab them when you see them!DSCN4867

I was a little worried that there was not enough contrast between the peaches and the pear, so I took the block to the window to see it in natural sunlight.  I think its just fine.  Bruin is still a little unsure.

DSCN4873

Next, I added another leaf, a pear, another tomato, some stems and a few more grapes.  Peachy!

DSCN4886

DSCN4885

Til next time…

Kerry

Hey It’s Good To Be Back Home Again!

Vacations are wonderful!  Coming back home is wonderful, too.  Don’t get me wrong…we had an amazing time in Florida.  We swam, we lounged by the pool, we walked and we ate (boy did we eat!)  Of course, the best part was the hot weather.  When we left Barrie on Thursday the 24th, it was snowing!  Fast forward a couple of hours and we were basking in the sunshine!  I stitched when I could and managed to finish the bottom border of my Civil War Bride Quilt.

DSCN4687

DSCN4686

As soon as I came home, I washed my border in the bathroom sink.  Then, I placed the wet border on a couple of towels to dry.  I turned my back for a split second and saw that Jenny was making herself very comfortable.

DSCN4695

DSCN4697

Of course, Bruin had to get in on the action!

DSCN4701

DSCN4713

And now…on to the last border!

DSCN4724

Til next time…

Kerry