One of the most challenging things about applique is determining which order to glue (and stitch) pieces to the background. Some blocks are easier than others to figure out. This block was not one of them! Here is how I tackled the “Xebec” block from Sue Garman’s “Ladies of the Sea”…
Since the seam allowances on the black part of the hull were going to be completely covered by other pieces, there was no need to prep the edges. But I did draw the seam allowance on the front of the piece, just to make sure everything was going to line up.
I also took the time to baste it to the background just inside the seam allowance.
Next, I added the brown top piece. Notice that the left hand edge is not prepped, but all of the other edges are.
This next skinny piece is going to go on top those raw edges, but it is going to go under the top brown piece…..
…but at the same time, this little gold piece gets tucked under the top piece. The edge that is not prepped will go under the top piece and the rest will stick out.
Needless to say, I had my thinking cap on!
So, this is what it looks like so far.
As you can see, this skinny brown piece is actually smaller than the seam allowance, so I had to trim just a tiny bit of the black piece before I could stitch it in place. Dicey business!
Next, it was time to add the main sail. I stitched the bottom and side edge, and then I basted the raw edge that is going to be covered up….
Til next time…
Now that I have finished Civil War Bride, I have some spare time on my hands. What will I do? Will I work on finishing some neglected UFO’s or start something totally brand new? Well…since I like to work on a number of projects at once, the answer is…both! I am going to work on finishing up Sue Garman’s “Friends of Baltimore” and I am going to start Sue Garman’s “Ladies of the Sea” tomorrow. I have been wanting to start this quilt for a while now. I showed the pattern to my son a couple of years ago and told him I would like to make it for him. He said “Sweet”. A couple of months ago, he actually asked me if I had started it yet. I said I hadn’t. Last week he asked me again if I had started it and I told him I was getting ready organizing my fabrics and I would start it soon. He said “Sweet. Make sure you make it long enough to cover me”.
(He is 6′ 5″.) I was torn between mortified and ecstatic. Mortified because he wants to use the quilt. Ecstatic because he wants to use the quilt!
I try to keep all of my unfinished projects organized in clear containers. That way, when I am ready to pick up where I left off, I know exactly where everything is. How is that for organized? This is “Friends of Baltimore”. I have just 2 blocks left, then I can start the borders. (Have you seen the borders? Yikes!)
So, the fern block is finished, but still needed a bath. You can read more about “Washing My Blocks” here.
While that block was soaking, I started the next block, the fruit bowl. First, I traced the pattern on to my background with a Clover water soluble marker. I used my light box to do all of my tracing.
I started with the base of the bowl. All I can think about is how nice it would be to go whale watching right about now!
Next, I added some circles.
Now I was ready to add some leaves. I have been thinking about leaves lately. Probably because we have been raking them up before the snow falls. Leaves come in more colours than just shades of green.
I have been keeping my eyes open for some really different leaf fabrics to add to my stash of applique fabrics. Check these out! I especially like the second one from the left and decided to use that one in this block.
Here it is….
Til next time…
Everywhere I look, I see a quilt, or a block or a border! Our summer vacation has officially started and we are flying to Nova Scotia to visit friends and family. We arrived in Toronto early so we could spend some time at the Royal York Hotel for breakfast….and some stitching!
In the lobby alone, I found more quilt designs than I could imagine. This carpet has everything in it that I love, a centre medallion, applique blocks set on point, and an amazing border. Oh, the possibilities!
These blocks are actually on the ceiling! A quilter must have had a hand in designing this!
And this floor tile reminds me that I would love to make a quilt based on round blocks rather than square blocks!
Til next time…
I like to set weekly quilting goals. Goal #1: To finish the tablecloth block. (Done!)
Goal #2: Stitch a row together. (Done!)
Goal #3: Stitch all three rows together. (Done!)
Til next time….
Til next time..