To Everything There Is A Season…Block 8

Where did October go?!?  It’s time for me post the 8th block of “To Everything There Is A Season”, a BOM I launched back in April.  If you are new to my blog and you haven’t seen the blocks yet, here they are!  All of the patterns are available for purchase on my website Simple Bird Studio.  The patterns are available either as a digital pattern (which I will email to you) or as a paper pattern (which I will mail to you).  The choice is yours.

Block 1

spring-urn

Block 2

new hummingbird

Block 3

rose

Block 4

Summer vase photo for blog

Block 5

SUNFLOWER FOR BLOG

Block 6

DSCN6278

 

Block 7

Apple Basket

And here is Block 8, The Poinsettia, just in time for the upcoming festive season.  (It will be here before you know it!)

DSCN6277

Here are a few close-up photos. The yellow centres are made of Ultra Suede.  This is where I purchase  my Ultra Suede.  I love the little bit of texture that Ultra Suede adds!  I also stitched around each yellow centre with one strand of gold embroidery floss.  I added a few French knots to the flowers, but I used 2 strands of embroidery floss for those.

DSCN6233

I also used one strand of brown floss to embroider around each of the ovals on the vase and around the darker handle on the right side.  Fancy!

DSCN6235

Til next time…

Kerry

Advertisements

It was a rainy day…..

There is something about a a rainy day that makes me want to put on a pot of coffee and stay indoors and stitch!  And that it exactly what I did!

I wanted to finish the 9th block from Sue Garman’s “Bouquets for a New Day”.  So I chose fabrics for the vase and stitched them in place.

I love the touch of embroidery on this block!  The sprigs of Baby’s Breath consists of many, many Colonial knots.

Here is the finished block!

Since I was on a bit of a roll (and it was still raining), I decided to start the next block!

First I stitched the star in place.

The leaves and vine pieces are one unit and a little tricky to prep.  I ironed the freezer paper to the wrong side of  the leaf fabric.

Then I cut around each unit leaving a scant 1/4″ seam allowance.

Using starch and a mini iron, I pressed the seam allowance in place.  The deep curves are a little challenging…but still doable!   (See below.)

I removed the freezer paper then glued all the pieces in place on the background.  They are now ready to stitch in place!

Even though I am not finished all 12 blocks, I started sewing the quilt top together.  As usual, Bruin had other plans for the blocks!

doable/ˈdo͞oəbəl/

Within one’s powers; feasible: “none of the jobs were fun, but they were doable”.

Til next time……

Kerry