Put the hexies down and walk away!!

Even though I am OHOH (Officially Hooked On Hexies), I still have some projects that are needing my attention.  As of this moment, I have 3 (how did that happen?) hexie projects on the go.  First, my brown-ish-neutralish kind of scrappy collection.

DSCN5617

Then, there is my bright-cutesy could be a baby quilt collection.

DSCN5609

And last, but certainly not least, it the first block of a Hexie Quilt Along (Value Proposition Quilt Along) that I found on an amazing blog by Karen at Faeries and Fibres.  If you want to know anything about hexies (I mean anything!) and English paper piecing in general, this is a blog you must visit!  But make yourself a cup of tea first, you may be there a while!

DSCN5614

Last night, I took the time to trace the second border of  Sue Garman’s Friends of Baltimore.  I would really (I mean, really!) like to have this quilt finished by the end of this year.  You know, one more thing to cross off the bucket list!   Yikes!  Do I see ferns??

DSCN5608

I thought I would show how I assembled the hummingbird block, the latest block of “To Everything There Is A Season”.  Looks complicated, but really it isn’t!

First, I traced the pattern on to my background.  Next, I added the leaves and the blue flowers.

DSCN5553

Now, I have a dilemma…the leaves have covered up some of the traced lines, and I cannot see where to put the flower petals.  Here is my solution.  I “build” the flowers on an applique pressing sheet.

DSCN5554

Then I pick the flower up in one piece and glue it in place.  Easy peasy!

DSCN5557

Here is how I stitched the hummingbird.  Don’t forget that the “underneath” wing goes on the background before the feathers. I forgot,  so I had to un-stitch the feathers and insert the wing underneath.

DSCN5583

Next, the head, the underbody and the tail feathers…

DSCN5584

DSCN5594

…and the top body and a beak.  He just needs an eye!

DSCN5596

Til next time….

Kerry

 

 

Filling a Vase One Flower At A Time

The first border of Sue Garman’s “Friends of Baltimore” is not nearly as daunting as I thought it would be.  No really!  If you take a good look at the pieces, you will see that most of them are very simple shapes and easy to do.  There is just lots of them!!

I have most of the leaves prepped and glued onto my paper pattern.  This is proving to be a really effecient method because I have not lost a single piece!  DSCN5169

Once a few of the leaves were in place, I started to add the buds and flowers.

DSCN5173

DSCN5174

DSCN5176

These flowers are so dainty and super-simple.  I love them!

DSCN5183

Now, it’s time to add the teensy, tiny yellow centre.

DSCN5186

DSCN5188

Very dainty!

DSCN5190

So, now it’s just a matter of adding each flower…one at a time…until you have a vase full of lovely flowers!

DSCN5181

DSCN5191

DSCN5198

I am now going to make a pot of tea.  I have lots of stitching to do!

DSCN5199

Til next time….

Kerry

Lots of Leaves!

The block I am working on  from the Civil War Bride had a lot of leaves on it.

a few more leaves

Boredom was starting to set in, so thank goodness I had some emergency chocolate stashed away!

chocolate

I stitched a bit…ate a chocolate…stitched a bit…ate a chocolate…until finally all the leaves and flowers were stitched in place.

finished block

I was worried that my pink flower looked a little…well….pale.  It seemed to fade into the background.

insipid

So I carefully drew around the outer edge with a pink Sharpie marker.  Much better, I think!

marker

Til next time…

Kerry