Save those scraps!

I have been working away on the second block of “Love is in the Air” a pattern designed by Lori Smith.  I purchased this pattern a couple of years ago and put it away with the rest of my patterns.  Honestly, I forgot all about it.  About a month ago,  I went through my patterns and books in search of a simple applique pattern that would lend itself to a really scrappy feel.  As soon as I “found” this pattern in my box of (far too many) patterns, I knew “Love is in the Air” was exactly what I was looking for!  For those of you who may want to stitch these blocks along with me, the pattern is available here.

As I mentioned in my last post, I am using a collection of shirting for the backgrounds, so that means that each background square will be different, which I am not going to lie has me a little unsettled.  But I do love a challenge!

Also, I enlarged the patterns by 125%.  I cut my background squares 16″ x 16″, but I am not sure right now what size they will end up.  I never have all the details figured out before I start a quilt….what fun would that be?   Sometimes you have to listen to the quilt!

I started this block by tracing the pattern onto the background with a water soluble marker.  Next, I made a bunch of leaves, using many different fabrics, just for the fun of it and then I auditioned them.  Some I like.  Some I don’t.  Some of the leaves are competing with the background, so I will save those leaves for another project!

DSCN7454

DSCN7455

OK, next I added my stems.  Notice I used the same fabric for all of the stems, just to give a bit of consistency.

DSCN7457

Next, I went searching through my scraps and I found this piece of fabric I have had for about 8 years.  I love this fabric!  So I decided to use it for the 4 main flowers.

DSCN7463

Then I went through my scraps and found a fabric that went with the flower fabric.

DSCN7461

Next, I went through my blues and golds and chose a few fabrics that played nicely with the main flower fabric.   So far, so good!

DSCN7464

DSCN7466

This patterns has a circle in the centre that I could make with a piece of bias and  a 1/4 bias maker, but I chose to make a template instead and prep it in the way I prep all of my templates.  So much easier!  Instead of tracing the circle from the pattern, I used a compass to get a more accurate shape.
DSCN7467

I cut the circle out and ironed it to the wrong side of the fabric.  I decided not to cut the centre of the fabric out just yet, to keep it more stable.

DSCN7468

Using starch, a stiletto and a mini-iron, I prepped the outside edge.

DSCN7469

Next, I trimmed out the centre and prepped the inside edge.

DSCN7470

Taking the freezer paper out is always fun (and kind of scary!) but it works like a charm every time!

DSCN7477

DSCN7478

Once it is glued in place, it looks very neat and tidy.  Whew!!

DSCN7479

So, I auditioned several fabrics for the centres of the main flowers…brown, black, burgundy, blue…nothing appealed to me.  Then I tried gold.  Gold it is!!  But wait….

DSCN7481

I thought the gold circles were a tad too big, so I made them a shade smaller.

DSCN7486

Ahhhh.  That’s much better!

DSCN7484

Here’s a fun fact… I used three different golds in this block.  After all, it is a scrappy quilt!

DSCN7488

And here are both blocks.  Sweet!

DSCN7487

Keeping with the scrappy theme, I am working away on Trail Mix, a quilt designed by Laundry Basket Quilts.  I chuckled when I saw this block.DSCN7451

In this block alone, there is a scrap from my hexie quilt I worked on last winter,

DSCN6717

DSCN6995

…a scrap of the background of my Civil War Bride Quilt….

DSCN4727

DSCN6141

….and a piece of the background of my Reminescence.  Memories!

detail of Rem.

Til next time….

Kerry

Advertisements