A good day…considering!

Exciting times!  Earlier this spring, a dove built a nest and laid some eggs in a tree that is visible from our front window.  Last weekend, my husband was trimming the bushes around the tree and noticed the Mama bird keeping her 2 baby birds warm.

mom and baby

On Thursday, I noticed a bit of commotion around the tree (and our cat was going crazy!)  Good thing he is an indoor cat!  The baby birds were finally leaving the nest!  I made sure my still-living-at-home, recently graduated 21 year-old daughter was paying close attention!  Here is the Mom and Dad and one of the babies.

mom dad and baby

The other baby is over here, maybe in a time-out?

2nd baby

Anyway…back to the block!  I added a few more flowers and leaves…

a few more flowers 1

flowers 2

Next, it was time to make the vine.  First I ironed the freezer paper to the wrong side of the fabric.  I trimmed just one side of the vine.

vine 1

I prepped one side…

vine 2

…then, I trimmed the other side.

vine 3

I finished prepping the vine, removed the freezer paper and added a few dabs of glue….

vine 5

…..and added it to the bouquet!

vine 6

In the meantime, I  noticed that I had forgotten a little bud in the top right hand corner of the bouquet.  So I prepped the missing bud, and also the blossom that goes at the end of the vine.  And stitched them in place.

Here is the missing bud…

oops 2

…and the blossom at the end of the vine.  Spiffy!

vine 7

I must confess, I did not look at the pattern, and mixed the two pieces up.  I did not think it mattered….keep reading!…

So once all flowers and vines and leaves stitched in place, it was time to make the stems.  I used bias bars to make them and used 4 different fabrics.  I did not want to glue all the stems in place before stitching them, so I glued and stitched a few at a time.  I took a few minutes and traced the stems so I wouldn’t have to keep putting the background back on the lightbox.

stems 1

I added a few more stems and stitched them in place…

stems 2

…voila!

stem 3

Next, I added the leaves.  So far, so good!

leaves

I was pretty impressed with myself (which usually means I have screwed up somewhere!) and started prepping the ribbon.  I put the pattern back on the light box and started to glue the ribbon in place.  Yikes!  Good thing I keep the stitch ripper handy!

yikes

Ah….that’s better!

better

Til next time…

Kerry