Most evenings you will find me on the couch, hand-quilting the night away. Once my needle hits the fabric, all the stress and tension of the day just seems to melt away. Here is the latest block of Sue Garman’s “Bouquets For A New Day”. So, now I have 6 blocks quilted, and 6 more to go…oh… and a border. (Heavy Sigh)
I have started working on the next block of Civil War Bride. It can be tricky to figure out what order to place the stems on the background. If the raw edge of “Stem A” is going to be covered with “Stem B”, then “Stem A” needs to be glued in place first. (It’s easier than it sounds!!)
First, I put a few dabs of glue along the traced line, rather than putting glue on the actual stems. This will be “Stem A”. You can see that this stem will be covered by another stem.
Next, I carefully placed the stem on the line. Because the stems are cut on the bias, they are easy to curve along the line.
Then, I used the line that the next bias strip will be placed on as a guide to trim the stem to the correct length. I have added a few dabs of glue to hold the next stem in place.
Now, another stem is in place….This is also a “Stem A”.
And, finally, the longer stem that covers these shorter stems is glued in place. This is “Stem B”.
So…here are a bunch of “Stem A’s”, waiting to be covered by one long “Stem B”.
And, finally…all the stems are in place!
I thought this block needed a really special vase! So I fussy-cut this fabric…
…and ended up with this vase! Spiffy!
Next, I added some buds….
…and leaves and flowers!
Til next time…