I was one block away from finishing the second row of “The Civil War Bride Quilt”! All I had to do was finish the bird block. So I spruced the birds up with some tail feathers that I thought were rather snazzy, added some solid looking feet and gave each bird a colourful comb!
After I finished stitching each block, I washed it in the sink with hot soapy water to remove all of the starch, glue and even a bit of my own blood! (Note to self…my new scissors are really sharp!) When they were dry, I trimmed the blocks to the correct size. (As a rule, I always cut my blocks 2″-3″ larger than needed.) Believe it or not, the blocks do shrink up a fair amount once they are stitched.
Once they were all trimmed to the correct size, I started stitching them together.
And, finally, I stitched 2 rows together! Spiffy!
Since I had my sewing machine out, I took the time to stitch another block of Barbara Brackman’s “Grandmother’s Choice”. I must confess, I am a not exactly keeping up with the weekly blocks, but I do intend to make a quilt (or two!) with the blocks …and maybe add a few applique blocks. We will see!
Til next time…