I must say I am pleasantly surprised at how quickly I am quilting the borders of “Bouquet For A New Day”. The bottom border is finished and I have now marked the side borders. As I was marking the borders, my mind wandered and I had an epiphany! ( a sudden realization–a flash of recognition in which someone or something is seen in a new light).
I thought…it is all well and good that the borders match up in the center of the border. But…wouldn’t it be interesting to put a design or something at the center and have the borders flow out from the design?? I thought it would be fun to incorporate 2013 in the top border (the year this quilt better be finished!) So here is what I did…
First, I found a font in Illustrator that suited the quilt. Then I drew an oval around it and printed it out. The borders are only 5″ wide so the design could only be around 4″ tall. Next, I drew some lines on the pattern to help center it on the border fabric.
I put the quilt on my light box and placed the pattern just under the top layer. I used the lines on the pattern to make sure everything was nicely centered.
Next, I drew the lines with a Frixion marker.
Then, using the stencil I continued drawing the border, until I reached the oval.
I flipped the stencil over and continued on my merry way. Easy peasy!
In the meantime, I have been working away on the next Civil War Bride block. This block consists of a lot of layering. For instance…first the leaves, then the stem and then the feet!
This is the block so far!
Til next time….